I love my AMERICAI love my AMERICA
By: Santoshee Mishra
August 16, 2007
BPO boys say they celebrate the US Independence Day only because that’s the country, and not India, that values, clothes and feeds them
Yankee doodle dandies
They are Indians who unabashedly say they would rather celebrate the US Independence Day on July 4, than India’s independence.
Meet India’s new generation of India ignorers — the BPO worker.
“I do not see any reason to celebrate India’s independence. I am paid by a US-based company, so I celebrate their Independence Day,” said Vikram Rathor, from Malad.
He added it was ironic that I-Day and republic day were dry days in India, but it was an open secret that alcohol was available at a price. “Why do Indians hide things? In the US, everybody takes joy in raising a toast to the nation.”
Ani Fernandez, from an Andheri BPO, added, “Why should I celebrate India’s independence? It’s so noisy.” In the days that follow August 15 and January 26, the streets are littered with national flags, he said.
“I have seen people trample on them and walk away. In the US, the celebrations are held at home with dignity and style,” he added.
“I struggled for two years to get a job and finally I joined this BPO.
Obviously, I am very thankful to the UK-based company that allowed me to land this job,” said Pam Kaur, who works in a Malad call center.
An HR executive from Sitel, Andheri said nobody in the company wants a holiday on August 15.
“They are happy celebrating the US Independence Day. In the last two years, I have never had an employee asking for a holiday on August 15.”
Indians never valued me, so why should I value the independence of this country?
- Pam Kaur, works in a Malad call centre
Main jiska namak khata hoon usi ke geet gata hoon
- Vikram Rathor also works in a Malad BPO
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment